Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Humanist Bible

I have been reading the Humanist Bible on my way to work (I take public transit). To be honest I had no idea what to expect when I started reading. It is very poetic and well written... almost mystical. The chapters are presented as sets of verses - just like other religious texts - each one presenting a complete thought or natural statement.  I'll try to include some of my favorite verses on twitter and on this blog.

"what feeds the stars? Time and ages must otherwise eat all things away, except that nature's laws infallibly rule that nothing returns to nothing."

Humanist Bible Ch.5 verse 4

I like the idea that it is impossible for something to die in vain: everything eventually serves as food for something else, and even the stars "feed" on other matter in order to exist. Everything must eat to survive. Therefore, given finite space, eventually everything must be eaten. Out with the old in with the new. The genesis for many religions is grasping the meaning of death. For me, I can come to terms with the fact that, since I've lived and grown by feeding off other matter, I owe the universe that matter back.

Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment