Sunday, October 30, 2011

Why Humanism?

I suppose most people experience periods in their lives with feelings of vulnerability. I'm no different. I get frustrated by people I interactive with, or the bad things I read and hear in the news. I reflect on these things and daydream about what I would do if given the power to make them better.

And when I encounter those stressors (which is often) for some reason I always think about how religious people rely on one another to get through it all. I believe this is because I've encountered many religious people in my life who are successful and claim their religions as integral to their success. I know way more religious people who are successful than successful atheists. That is not to say I think this trend holds true all the time; it is just what I have observed. Also, whenever a new study comes out in the news about how to live to 100, it seems like many times centarians are described as being actively spiritual.

So, being someone who wants to be successful and who wants to live for a very long time, I am obviously a little envious. I hope that the humanism community and way of life can fill that void. If the act of being religious can be distilled down to a means of getting to live longer and more prosperously, then why can't I just lead a religious life of sorts without all of the stuff I don't believe in? I can congregate with likeminded people, read about my religion, meditate, etc. Who knows what such a life could bring...

I'm still trying to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment